Own Your Beauty

Thursday, November 18, 2010

Cherokee Fiddles and Stew

When I was a little girl, I loved the song Cherokee Fiddle. Don't really know why, just something about it always drew me in. Even now as an adult, it's still one of my favorite songs.

In an effort to find some new things for dinner, I began trolling the internet, searching high and low for something. I knew that I wanted chicken, and I knew that I wanted sweet potatoes. I've had that Fall feeling lately, so I also knew that I wanted something warming to the soul. After some careful redoing and a few tests, I came up with a finished project. So as an ode to one of my favorite songs and one of my favorite men (my gorgeous husband) I dub thee..... "Cherokee Stew"

Cherokee Stew
Chicken breast
2 cups of water
2 Bay Leaves
4 sweet Potatoes- rough chopped
1 large Vidalia Onion- rough chopped
16 ounce can of plum Tomatoes-drained
1 tsp. of Hot Paprika
1/8 of tsp of white pepper
¼ tsp of Nutmeg
¼ tsp of Cloves
¼ tsp of Allspice
1 tsp of cinnamon
1 tbsp of honey
¼ tsp of Red Wine Vinegar
Salt and Pepper to taste

Boil the chicken breast with the bay leaves until done. Remove the bay leave and skim the broth. Cube the chicken and add it, along with the remaining ingredients to a 5 qt. crock pot with the exception of the honey and red wine vinegar. Cook on low 6-8 hours or high 4-5 hours. During the last 15 minutes add in the honey and vinegar.

Recommended Accompaniments
This is a very rustic stew, best served with a simple green salad & warmed wheat flat bread that has been rubbed lightly with olive oil, and sprinkled with salt, garlic, and cracked pepper. Any dark beer would go well with this as would a Cabernet. A recommended dessert would be a pear tart with vanilla bean ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment