Own Your Beauty

Sunday, November 7, 2010

Agnes's Apple Crisp


When I did my post yesterday, I never dreamed I would get so many request for the accompanying suggested recipes..... I guess I just assumed they were so basic, that everyone knew how to make them because it was something I had been making since I was a kid. I honestly had to make it and pay attention to the measurements rather than just a pinch of this and a dash of that.

You have read my stories of my sassy granny Agnes Louise. This recipe reminds me so much of her, and it is always near the holidays when I miss her the most. I'm sure that right about this week, she, my great aunt, my Memaw, and my great uncle would start the long and tedious ritual of making black walnut apple cakes. My uncle was thrown into the mix, because he was the only one that could stir the mix once all the ingrediants were put in.

I deemed this Apple Crisp in name of her, because it was thru her that I found my love of cooking. Enjoy!
6 apples- (preferably Golden Delicious, but any kind will do)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp of cloves
¼ tsp of nutmeg
5 teaspoons butter
½ tsp of vanilla
¼ tsp dark Rum
Crumble: 1/2 c brown sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup rolled oats
Peel and slice apples into greased baking dish. Combine sugar and cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and sprinkle over apples. Mix vanilla, 2 tsp. butter and dark rum together and drizzle over apples. Blend the remaining three tsp of butter into brown sugar. Mix and add flour and rolled oats. Spoon mixture over apples. Bake at 350. for 15 mins. Uncover and bake until crust is golden and apples are tender (approx. 35 minutes.)
Copyright: Jenifer Helton 11.07.10

No comments:

Post a Comment