Own Your Beauty

Thursday, May 28, 2009

The Smallest Blessings... family ambitions



So for the past few weeks, I have missed doing this... My reasons are simple, sweet and sad. You see my grandfather turned 98 years old in January. He has been married to my grandmother for close to 70 years. My grandfather has lived a very active life up until mid April. He has never once complained a single bit, however it became very obvious, that his body and mind were getting tired. From april 13 on he he has gone down hill just a little bit each day. My grandmother has tirelessly stayed by his side answering to his every whim and request. Even heating up apple juice and water, because... well, that's just how he liked it.

I have been going by there every Friday afternoon for lunch and to help out any way I can. I made him a homeade strawberry and plum pie, took him his favorite ribs from O'Charleys, whatever he liked. I will jokingly say that I believe he may have been just a little spoiled, but then again, we are talking about a man that had 3 children, 9 grandchildren, and 11 great grandchildren... I guess he's done his fair share of spoiling us as well.

On Friday May 15, I went over there, to find him unable to get out of bed by himself. This is the bed that he and my grandmother have shared all of their marriage. On Saturday, my aunt had a hospital bed brought in, and that's where he stayed. Monday evening, my grandmother called everyone around 7:30 to let them know that he just wasn't himself..... everyone came quickly! We all sat up all night long Monday night. On tuesday morning, the hospice nurse that has been helping out came by to help bath him and shave him. From the time he started shaving, my grandfather has shaved every single day!! She was certainly surprised to see a house full of exhausted, coffee jacked up people. She went on about her business and shaved him. When she moved out of the front of him, my cousin made a comment that he had not moved.... the nurse turned around and told us all what we already knew. He was gone. I felt like someone had ripped my heart out. He simply went to sleep Monday night and never woke back up. It is hard for me to accept, but I know that this was God's will. My grandfather was Roy M. Long... aged 98, passed away May 19, 2009, in his home, with his family around him.He gave his life to the Lord in 1955 and has remained active in his churchall of these years. He was loved and respected by many, as a man, a father, a grandfather, and as a soilder.

To his tribute, I reaffirmed my faith and life this past Sunday. I can hope that I am as good of a wife to my husband as he was a husband to my grandmother, and a mother as he was a father. Please say a prayer for my grandmother as she is feeling lost without the love of her life.

No comments:

Post a Comment