Own Your Beauty

Thursday, April 16, 2009

The Smallest Blessings-Friendship


Every year in April, 5 close friends and myself go to Myrtle Beach for a "Girls Weekend". It's my mother, my cousin, and some other ladies. Unfortunately I got laid off last September, and although I did go back to work, it was at a much reduced salary. I scrimped and saved for the last few months, but something always has come up, so I made the decision ( a big girl decision) that I just wasn't going to go this year, we simply could not afford it. I was very sad to have to tell everyone, especially my mother. We in the past had made the 5 hour ride together, and it really served as a sweet and private time for us.

About 2 weeks ago, I got a call from one of my dearest friends, asking me if I still was not going to be able to go. I told her yes, financially there really was just no way. She said ok and after a few minuets of idle chit chat, we said goodbye. The next day she called me again, asking the same question. I have to admit, that at first, I was a bit angry. I told her again, that nothing had changed... she quickly cut me off by saying that everyone had talked the night before and that I had to go. She then laughed and said that one of the best things about friendship was the chance to do something nice for someone else and that the "girls" had decided that they were paying my portion.

I encourage everyone who read this to take this to heart. Friendship, true friendship is being able to experience the joy of not only each other, but the opportunity to do something nice for someone else. It doesn't have to be extravagant, it doesn't even have to cost anything. I challenge you all to do something unexpected today for your friend. Whether that be your spouse, your sister, or just a girlfriend from college, surprise them with a gesture and when the thanks come, encourage them to pass it on. If everyone did this for one day, perhaps it would spill over into the next.
Have a wonderful day!

4 comments:

  1. Wow, what amazing friends you have. You are truly blessed and they seem like they are true friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never really had close friends for a long time. I had a hard time developing friendships after my best friend in High School died. I am developing some now. What a blessing they have been. Boy did I really cheat myself all these years.

    Thank you for sharing your blessings with us.

    Blessings Always

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, way to make me cry, Jenifer! :) That was a very sweet story. I'm lucky to have know my best friends since 8th and 9th grade. I'm 28 now, so that make our friendship ..... really old! :) Thanks for sharing. Your posts and writings are so beautiful. I look forward to your entry next week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it amazing how God works. You've had a taste of what it is like to stay at home so that when you are financially ready, it won't be such a change.

    When I was at a marriage conference earlier this year, they seperated the men and women and told us what our roles were to be. It made me feel better knowing that we were not created to handle the stress and pressures of working and providing. Men are made by God to do so! They were created to withstand the pressures of a hard job and get gratification out of providing and being a spiritual leader for a family. It all made perfect sense! I didn't care that I brought home a paycheck. Yes, it was good for the bills, but I felt much more gratified and rewarded when Southern Hubby would tell me how good the house smelled or a vistor would tell me how much they loved my decor. Those are the things that 'pay' my salary.

    Hopefully the day comes for your sooner than later. 30 hours a week is much better than what you were doing! No girl should lose their hair over a job!!! ;P lol!

    ReplyDelete