Own Your Beauty

Monday, August 3, 2009

To Wine or not to Wine


In the past few weeks, I seem to have gotten more excited about re-discovering my religion. I've made more consciouses efforts to pray daily, had talks with God on my way home from work, joined a Women's group at my church, and a few other things. I did it because it felt good. I felt like it was where God wanted me to be, and the more I discovered, the more I saw every day little miracles happening all around me that I knew was God at work.

With all the excitement and new discovery, there is always some questioning of oneself. Was there anything that I was doing that wasn't Christian like? Was there anything that I was doing that might cause some of the women in my group to frown down on me? I feel like I always put my best foot forward for the most part in being a good wife, mother, and worker. I keep a clean house, take my grandma shopping every Friday, and tuck my babies in at night. Over the weekend, it hit me when we went to my cousins 40th birthday. I very gladly took the frozen fruity drink that was handed to me when we walked through the door Saturday night, in fact in the course of 4 hours, I took 2 more. I wasn't drunk, did not act immoral, did not do anything to embarrass myself,most certainly did not drive my family home, etc, etc. All that being said, it gnawed at me when I got in bed. Was it right? Was God frowning upon me for doing it? The longer I laid there, the more items that crossed my mind. I had dropped the "a" word earlier at the party, and possibly the "b" word, joking around. I had cleaned my house spotless earlier in the day, however I had simply shut the door to our bedroom, assuring myself that no one would be in there but myself and my husband, and while I had made the bed that morning, there was a towering pile of laundry to be put away in the floor and the dust bunnies under the bed had baby bunnies. My mind was racing at this point, almost to the point that had my husband not been snoring next to me, I would have jumped up and started cleaning like crazy.

Sunday morning in church I still pondered my questions. Now seriously, just who the heck was I going to ask? The sweet little old lady who sits behind us in church or my pastors wife who sits in front of us? So, I decided that I would put the question out there to you all. Is it morally right for a Woman of Faith to have an adult beverage socially? What do you think crosses the line when it comes to the behavior of Christian women? Do you ever have questions regarding your faith that you feel you can't ask anyone for fear of ridicule?

Have a beautiful week. I am anxious to see your answers!

2 comments:

  1. I have questions about my faith all the time. And you probably are aware of that since you read my blog- lol. Like you, sometimes I feel lost, like I'm doing it all wrong but don't know what's right.

    I really think you need to search your heart on this one. There are some people that think alcohol is evil and others who are ok with it. Personally, I'm fine with it. As long as it is not carried out in excess (which obviously 3 drinks is not) and does not hurt anyone (drunk driving). Of course, women who go to bars, drink it up, flirt for free drinks, wear promiscuous clothing, and act inappropriately because of the effects of alcohol, then I think God frowns upon that. There are many instances of wine in the Bible. I don't know it's wrong- it's what you do with it. And you seem to be doing just fine! :)

    xo
    J

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear....this is a tough one. I agree with Southern Housewife! Ditto!

    ReplyDelete